Mastectomy is the removal of the entire breast during surgery, often performed due to a diagnosis of breast cancer. It is performed when breast-conserving treatment is not possible and when the risk of recurrence of cancer is very high. During this procedure, the doctor removes the breast, areola, nipple, skin, and sometimes lymph nodes. This can be devastating to a woman’s self-esteem and sense of self. Breasts are often seen as a sign of a woman’s femininity and the removal of one or both can be a deeply emotional experience.
A breast cancer diagnosis is overwhelming. Going through such an event is very personal and every story is unique. Mastectomy is the removal of the whole breast as a way to treat or prevent cancer. It is an incredibly traumatic experience for any woman and seems impossible to imagine loving yourself again and accepting your new body afterward. But there is so much life still to be lived and enjoyed. The answer for you might just be a 3-D areola tattoo.
Nowadays, many women opt for breast reconstruction surgery when they are fully healed. However, surgery of any kind can still add additional pain, stress, and medical bills. There is a much less invasive alternative, known as a 3-D areola tattoo.
1. Areola Tattooing, is considered as a part and final stage of breast reconstruction. But, unlike surgery, this procedure is very reliable and excludes any complications.
2. This medical tattoo was created by Vinnie Myers, a Baltimore-area tattoo artist.
3. A realistic-looking nipple and areola is an essential part of the final reconstructive process and can have a tremendous effect on a woman’s self-esteem
4. “Nipple reconstruction can be achieved in several different ways, but the nipple and areola will remain skin-colored unless they are tattooed and infused with color,” says Dr. David Passaretti, a Darien-based plastic surgeon who has performed breast reconstructions for eight years.
5. Good candidates for a medical tattoo are those women who lost their nipple due to mastectomy.
6. This procedure can be performed after 6 months since the final breast reconstruction surgery, depending on your healing process.
- reduces the appearance of scars
- restores symmetry and the natural image of the reconstructed breast
- boosts your confidence
- application of color to the well-shaped breast reconstruction restores realism to the overall result
- provides a focal point with the breast mound that reduces the appearance of scar lines in the reconstructed area
First, get a "green light" from your doctor and look up a certified Medical Tattoo Artist nearby. If you live in the Chicagoland area, you have probably heard of Liana Reznik, the owner of Fancy Shmancy Salon in Highland Park. Her initial consultation begins over the phone, to answer any questions or concerns you might have, as well as to ensure you’re making the right choice for you. Liana will request photos if possible and offer her own to pick the perfect and the most natural-looking size, shape, and color for your areola.
She only uses the best brands on the market, with the highest quality ingredients such as Biotek to deliver picture-perfect and safe results. The whole process lasts from 2 to 4 hours and is usually pain-free as mastectomy reduces sensation and results in breast numbness.
Upon completion of the procedure, a bandage will be applied over the tattoo and a bra will help you to hold it in place. Healing can take about 10 days with proper care that involves keeping the area clean and applying antibacterial ointment several times a day. Liana provides all of the necessary healing products as a complimentary gift to every customer.
Areola tattoos are covered by some insurance plans, though, you’ll need to check with your provider. Costs begin at roughly $400 and can depend on:
- the expertise of a tattoo artist
- the area you live in
- the initial consultation
- whether you plan to have one or two areola tattoos
What are you waiting for? So many women tend to skip reconstructive surgery now, replacing it with tattoos. Just imagine how great and easy life can be when you can have natural-looking nipples without having to go through another post-surgical period. What a wonderful way to end your difficult journey. After your battle, you deserve to look in the mirror and see the reflection of a beautiful body that fought for this life and came out a survivor. Fancy Shmancy Aesthetics stands behind its name and Liana is here to empower you and give you the confidence to tackle any obstacle life throws your way. If you are interested in getting a free consultation about your perfect areola solution, contact Liana today.